Sunday, February 23, 2014

It’s that time of the year again

Okay, okay, this entry was meant to be posted on Christmas… On Christmas 2012, to be precise. Don’t judge me! It’s not as if you’ve never postponed doing something... for over a year. Aaaaanyway, without further ado, here are some of the dialogues that took place before the winter holidays.

In a beginners' class:
Boy 1: "Miss, can I ask Santa for a zombie?"
Me: "I don't know Nick, you can try and tell me how it goes."
Boy 2: "You know that Santa is your mum and dad, right?"
There was utter silence in the class for a few seconds and I held my breath.
Boy 1: "Yeah, yes I know that." *pause* "I still want that zombie though."

8-year-old boy’s sincere question while watching The Polar Express: “Oh wow! Does the Polar Express come to Greece too?”

During a private lesson with a 14-year-old student:
Me: “Okay, I'll see you on the 27th for our next lesson! Merry Christmas!”
Student: “On the 27
th? No way! I'm coming over on the 24th to sing the Christmas carols. See you at 7am!”
Me: “Yeah, do that, and you won’t be singing the carols to anyone else…”

During the school party before the Christmas holidays:
Student 1: “So when I first saw you I figured that you were very strict.”
Student 2: “Nah, she’s actually really cool and she tells loads of jokes.”
Me: “Awww!”
Student 2: “So I charge 0.25€ per compliment…”

(By the way, I don’t joke much in class. I’m just plain honest and they think I’m joking. Not understanding sarcasm or actually appreciating it?)

A couple of days before that, I was having a private lesson with an 8-year-old in his house. While we were sitting in front of the lit fireplace, suddenly a loud bang was heard from inside the fireplace. He jumped up. I looked at him and opened my eyes widely: "It's SANTA!!!"

And then, during a lesson with the same little boy:
Me: "So, we won't be having a lesson for the next two weeks, try not to be too sad..."
Student: "I'm so sad that I'll throw a party with a band playing live."
Me: "Oh come on. I can almost see the tears in your eyes."
Student: "They're tears of joy..."
Outsmarted by an 8-year-old: check.

No comments:

Post a Comment